Eating Europe: What to Eat in Prague (And Where to Eat It)

Discover Hidden Culinary Gems on a Half-Day Foodie Tour

Each year, more than 8 million tourists make their way to the Czech capitol city of Prague.

Many make the journey to explore the city’s fairytale castles, cobblestone streets, and the country’s triumphant journey to independence.

Eating Europe Prague food tour

But in recent years, an increasing number of tourists have decided to come for an entirely different experience (and some for this reason alone): the cuisine.

Previously, high-caloric dishes with meat heavy components such as duck and pork ruled the culinary world throughout the former Czechoslovakia.

Often accompanied by affordable sides such as bread and cabbage, these ingredients became the very essence of Czech cuisine. While still prevalent on many of the city’s menus to this day, history has fortunately made way for a new food revolution in Prague.

About Eating Europe

Helping more than 20,000 visitors explore Prague’s hidden foodie havens and new revolutions, Eating Europe has become a pioneer in the tourism industry.

What to Eat in Prague

Recommended by 99 percent of users on Trip Advisor, their tours showcase traditional Czech dishes and innovative international eats.

Read below to find out more about Eating Europe’s half-day Prague Food Tour and why the company has been featured on outlets like Lonely Planet, National Geographic, and Fodor’s.

About the Tour:
Name: Prague Food Tour
Start Time: 12:30pm
Duration: 4 hours
Meeting Point: Outside of Pernickuv Sen (gingerbread shop)
Price: 89 Euros

Stop 1: Pernickuv Sen

The baking of gingerbread in Czechia dates back to the 14th century. The lightly sweet, cake-like bread isn’t just a dessert but a culinary art form. Most prevalent during the Christmas and Easter holidays, traditional gingerbread can still be found in many regions throughout the country.

Eating Europe Prague food tour
Gingerbread cookies from Pernikcuv Sen in Prague 1 (Old Town). Photo by East Coast Contessa.

One of the most popular spots in Prague is Pernickuv Sen (meaning “a gingerbread man’s dream”). At this fragrant haven, guests sample an array of cookies, learn about ingredients and shapes, and shop a wide selection of decorated baked goods.

Stop 2: Bistro Sisters

As Prague continues to grow as an International city, the food scene continues to evolve at an equally astounding rate. A long-standing favorite in the Czech Republic that has taken an innovative turn in recent years has been the chlebíčky, or “open-faced sandwich”.

Eating Europe Prague food tour
A tasting board with open faced sandwiches at Sisters Bistro in Prague, Czech Republic. Photo by East Coast Contessa.

Bistro Sisters in Prague is among the most renowned spots to grab one of these delicate appetisers. Sandwich selections include favorites like Prague ham, duck and cabbage, roast beef, and whipped goat cheese with beets and walnuts. Order the tasting board with a sampling of Sister’s current offers.

Stop 3: Bistro Spejle

A new phenomenon that has graced Prague’s culinary scene is thanks to Bistro Spejle. Operating under the “skewer system,” Spejle serves food on wooden skewers charging 29CZK per stick. Simple right?

Eating Europe Prague food tour
The pork dumplings at Spejle in Prague, Czech Republic. Photo by East Coast Contessa.

While their main attraction is their buffet of chlebíčky, they offer other Czech staples served small-plate-style. The pork dumplings paired with Kingswood cider or Pilsner is a must. The sweet flavours of cinnamon and marinated cherry goes perfectly with a chilled pivo.

Stop 4: Cafe Louvre

Not far from the Vltava River sits one of Prague’s most elegant cafes. More than 100 years old, Cafe Louvre has served some of society’s greatest minds like Albert Einstein and Hans Kafka. Frequented by locals, its old-world atmosphere has been providing old cafe traditions since 1902.

Eating Europe Prague food tour
Cafe Lourve in Prague, Czech Republic. Photo: East Coast Contessa.

One of these traditions include the Svickova na smetanê. A tender beef sirloin marinated with vegetables, boiled in double cream, and topped with cranberry sauce is paired with bread dumplings and a slice of lemon. Other recommended menu items are the goulash, and the Kureci peso na pa price.

Stop 5: Créme de la Créme

When most people think of gelato, they immediately think its something that can only be found in Italy. But Prague’s Creme de la Creme gelateria proves that theory wrong by bringing a piece of Italy right to the heart of Central Europe. After studying the art of gelato making in Italy for many years, Honza Hochsteiger, or “Mr Ice Cream” as some like to call him, started whipping up what has quickly become “the best gelato in Prague.”

Visitors can choose from unique flavours such as Lavender, Tiramisu, Salty Peanut, and Dark Chocolate Chilli, among others. For those who prefer fruit-based flavours, they offer sorbet in flavours like Lemon Mint, Forest Fruit, and Strawberry and Thai Basil. (Pro tip: he best combination of flavours are the Strawberry Thai Basil and the creamy Walnut. The combo of fruit and nut is to-die-for!)

Eating Europe food our
Easting Europe Prague food tour. Come de la Creme in Prague, Czech Republic. Photo: East Coast Contessa.

Tour with Eating Europe proves there is more to Prague than beautiful architecture and pilsner (though both are important components). Dramatic changes have led Prague to become a destination for adventurers and foodies alike.

To book a tour with Eating Europe, visit their website directly, or book through Trip Advisor here.

**this post was in sponsorship with Eating Europe.

36 Comments
  1. Elena Pappalardo says

Oh my gosh, I need to go back to Prague to sample all these delicious treats! Thanks for the inspiration!

1. Alex Booze says

I am sure Prague would love to have you back! You took such gorgeous photos there and painted it in the best light. It certainly is a special place 🙂

2. Alison says

That all looks so good! I have to confess it’s mostly the beer I remember from my trip to Prague – the banana beer was a particular favourite!

1. Alex Booze says

Oh my! I don’t drink beer but if I did, banana beer sounds right up my ally! yum yum. Did you make it to Plzen when you went to the Czech Republic?

3. Abbie Synan says

Looks like you found some great traditional but hidden foodie havens! I’ve been to Bistro Sisters before, but it looks like I have a new tour to add to the list when I go to Prague again. Thanks for sharing your experience!!

1. Alex Booze says

Bistro Sisters was my favourite! The ingredients they use on the open faced sandwiches are just mind blowing and so fresh. I would also suggest creme de la creme for a sweet finish to any meal

4. Emma says

I loved Prague. The food was so good, although your pictures look way better than mine. I must have eaten my weight in gingerbread while I wad there, which granted was at Christmas so it was all around the markets.

1. Alex Booze says

I love Prague too! I lived there for a year and definitely ate way too many pork dumplings and gingerbread cookies haha! So lucky that you got to go at Christmas 🙂

5. Mae-Gene says

Prague is on my bucket list, and your post makes me want to go even more! These photos are amazing, and I got sooo hungry reading this. Thank you for sharing your experience!

1. Alex Booze says

So glad to hear that it’s on your bucket list! It is a life changing place to visit. Will certainly leave you wanting to come back over and over!

6. Michelle says

Your post has officially made me so hungry. I would love to visit Prague one day, and enjoy some of these great foods, especially Creme de la Creme!

1. Alex Booze says

Yay that makes me so happy to hear! I would love for you to visit Prague — it is my favorite European city! If you go and every need additional recommendations, feel free to reach out 🙂

7. Ruby says

This post has made my mouth water. It all looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the excellent post, it’s made me want to visit Prague next!

1. Alex Booze says

So glad to hear that! The food in Prague has really improved over the years and is certainly worth exploring. I would highly recommend this tour!

8. Ann Kelly says

This food tour looks perfect! Would love to return to Prague one day to try more of the delicious cuisine!

1. Alex Booze says

It was SO perfect! It was the best food tour I have been on to date. If you are ever in Prague you should look into booking this yummy experience!

9. Becca says

So many tasty ideas! Thanks for sharing 🙂

1. Alex Booze says

Prague is full of amazing food! It’s definitely improved over the years and is worth exploring 🙂

10. Julianne says

Your post made me SO hungry — and I had just finished dinner! 🙂 Great photos and recommendations. I’d love to try the baked goods at Pernickuv Sen and the chlebíčky at Bistro Sisters!

1. Alex Booze says

Yay! That was my goal hehe. I would highly recommend all of the restaurants on this tour. It is amazing! If you need any other Prague recommendations just let me know

11. Bliss says

These places look so delicious. Definitely have to check them out.

The Eating Europe tours are amazing!! I really enjoyed my time with them 🙂

12. Melanie Schaffer says

Prague is high on my list! I will use your recommendations for when I plan my travel!

1. Alex Booze says

Yay! This makes me so so happy to hear. If you need any other recommendations just let me know gal!

13. Neha Kulshrestha says

These look so delicious and tempting. Looks like a fun food tour.

1. Alex Booze says

It’s one of the best tour groups out there for sure! If you are ever in Europe and are looking to learn more about cuisine, they are the ones to ask 🙂

14. Alex says

Dang! I wish I had this post to reference before I went there. I ended up not getting the best food during my visit 🙁

1. Alex Booze says

Hi Alex! (Great name) hehe. Oh no! I’m so sorry! That just means you will have to go back 🙂 if you have any other questions about Czech food just let me know!

15. kelly says

One of the best things about travelling is the food and it sounds like Prague has some great food

1. Alex Booze says

Prague has some wonderful food and cocktails! Just have to know where to look 🙂

16. Arabela says

Yum! Central European sweets are the best!

1. Alex Booze says

they are SO good! All the fruit filled ones mmmm.

17. Cris says

Your photography is on point! This looks like a wonderful foodie tour!

1. Alex Booze says

aw! thank you so much, that means a lot. It was a wonderful tour and I highly recommend it!

18. Elizabeth says

Yum this post makes me hungry! I have been wanting to go to Prague for awhile and your post is giving me another reason to visit. I like that the tour includes both traditional Czech cuisine and international cuisine. The gelato looks so delicious 🙂

1. Alex Booze says

Prague is such a magical city! If you go, it will change you I promise 🙂 This is one of the best food tours you can go on there!