Why Solo Travel Is Not Something You Should Fear

5 Reasons Why Solo Travel Could Change Your Life {With Stories!}

When traveling, it’s often the case that you first think about who you’re going to travel with. But sometimes, it’s not always fun and games when going with someone else.

Heading off into unexplored lands sans friends or family can help you embrace the prospect of solo travel and all the benefits that come with it! Now, what are the benefits you ask? While intimidating, solo travel is nothing to fear, and it’s not something that makes you unusual if you prefer it. An increasing number of people are realizing the benefits of solo travel and below are five reasons why you should too:

1. It Increases Your Confidence

It may come as no surprise, but when you travel by yourself, you improve your confidence. You prove to yourself that you’re capable of facing unknown challenges head on and alone. It’s not until you force yourself to into it that you realise the initial intimidation is all mental. Many people experience this, but most of us are also stronger than we give ourselves credit for.

female solo travel

For example, my first solo travel trip was to Iceland. I was en-route to Prague were I was going to live for a year, and decided to do a 5-day stopover in Reykjavik. When I arrived from JFK Airport, the town was in the middle of an Artic storm (strong winds, ice, freezing temps). Not only was the landing rough, once I gathered all my luggage — two oversize suitcases, a backpack, and two carry ons — I had to push it all almost a mile through a snowy field in the middle of the storm to get to my shuttle.

Everyone was so focused on their own tasks and responsibilities that no one offered help. Furthermore the driver of the shuttle was in no mood to be bothered. One broken suitcase wheel and a handful of curse words later, I was safely inside of the shuttle and on my way to somewhere (I was dropped off at the wrong hotel but that’s another story for another time) 🙂

2. There’s Nothing Strange About It

It might seem strange to travel by yourself at first, but solo travel among both males and females is very common. Many people prefer to travel this way due to the benefits that are discussing here. But the most important point to make is that it’s not strange or “taboo”. You can set and follow your own schedule, visit the sites you choose, eat the food you want to eat, and spend as little (or as much) money as you like without consulting with fellow travelers. And the best part? You are certain to meet other solo travelers in the town or city you’re visiting.

3.One Word: Freedom!

As mentioned in the previous point, you will have much more freedom to make your own decisions and go your own way when traveling solo. You can make last minute changes to your schedule, take your time eating a meal, or even spend a day doing nothing. Having a flexible schedule is not a luxury that you get to enjoy when traveling with other people since you then have to take their wants and needs into account, too.

My second solo trip was to Berlin, Germany. It was my first time in Germany and I honestly did very little planning since the trip was for my first Czech Visa interview. My plan was to grab coffee in the morning, head to the Czech Embassy for my interview, and fit in a quick walk down the Berlin Wall if time permitted. Due to a mix up at the Embassy, I had to stay an additional day, which meant more time to explore! Since I was solo, I had unlimited free time, and was able to fit in all the sights on my impromptu itinerary. This included pastries from Alpenstueck Backerei, a photoshoot in front of the Brandenburg Gate, and a long stroll around the shops at Alexanderplatz.

Female Solo Travel
Like It? Pin It!

4. It’ll be Your Perfect Trip, Not Someone Else’s

The “planning” part of your trip will be much more enjoyable if you’re only planning it for yourself. It’s more difficult to plan a holiday when multiple travelers are involved since you have to take their interests and needs into account. Instead, both the planning and the journey will be yours to experience and enjoy. When spending money on a holiday, we all have our own wants and needs regarding our travel plans, so why not focus on them?

While I usually love traveling with friends and family, everyone has different needs and interests, which is perfectly fine! However, this component makes having the experiences that you want more challenging. Some people love hiking (not me), while other people enjoy solely spending time on a beach with their bum in a lawn chair (lovely, but not me either). I like a mix of adventure and relaxation, which isn’t always a great fit for some other’s travel styles. When I’m solo, I only worry about ensuring I have a good time.

Photo Credit: Best Trips EU at www.besttrips.eu/

5. You’ll Meet Other Solo Travelers

It’s important to note that traveling solo doesn’t mean that you’re going to be alone during your entire holiday. You’ll meet so many great people along the way and you’ll have a better chance of making new friends than if you were traveling alongside people you already know. You can find plenty of opportunities to be social during solo travel, especially if you book a pub crawl, a free walking tour, or another group tour that allows you to interact with other participants.

During a trip to Milan, Italy I met and befriended my now friend Anthony during dinner at the Ostello Bello Grande Hostel. Anthony serves in the U.S. Army stationed in Bavaria and was in Milan solo for the Thanksgiving holiday. We struck up a conversation and discovered that I lived on the same street as his mother when I lived in Virginia, and we shared a bottle of wine. Since then, Anthony and his friends visited me in Prague twice, and we speak regularly. You never know what friendships solo travel will bring your way!

East Coast Contessa

So, if you’ve been thinking about traveling by yourself but have been putting it off because you weren’t sure about it, hopefully the points raised above will encourage you take the plunge. Who knows, putting yourself out there and traveling by yourself might be one of the best gifts you ever give to yourself.

Have you travelled solo before? Do you prefer to travel alone or with others? Share your best stories with me in the comments below!

PS: Don’t forget to join my Pinterest Travel Group boards here!

31 Comments
  1. Caitlin says

Came across your blog from Pinterest and I’m really glad I did!
    I’ve always thought about traveling solo, but haven’t worked up the courage yet. Your post is so encouraging though, so I might just do it one day!

2. Alex Booze says

Hi Caitlin!
      I am so glad that you found your way here to my blog and that you enjoy it! Solo travel is something that changes you in such a way. It’s something no one can take away! I will be sure to check out your work as well. I hope you stop by again, and safe travels.

2. Beth says

I have a niece who also does solo travel – maybe you’ve run across her blog! It’s at https://www.bemytravelmuse.com/about/. Sounds like you’ve had similar positive experiences. I traveled solo for an entire 2 weeks during my year abroad in Spain and it was just the right thing for me then.

Hi Beth!
      Ohh thank you so much for sharing your niece’s blog! I will have to go check out her work. And wow! Two weeks in Spain alone! I live in Spain currently and it’s a beautiful country. Hablas Español? 🙂 Alex

3. Flossie McCowald says

Oh, absolutely! I rarely get to travel by myself anymore, and that which I do is about 90-95% work-focused. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE squeezing in fun things for me whenever I can, even on work trips, that my hubby and kids would NEVER go for if they were along! 🙂

Hi Flossie!
      Oh yes, always make time for the fun things. I hope you get to experience more solo travel in your future! Alex

4. Chad says

Great article! I love traveling on my own, the entire experience is so much different so much fulfilling. Thank you for sharing.

Hi Chad!
      Thanks so much for stopping by! I am glad you found this article helpful 🙂 Safe travels! Alex

5. Angela Greven says

Great post to inspire solo travel! Traveling alone allows you to indulge in the things you want to experience and already love. For me, a religious experience. Thanks so much for sharing! 🙂

Hi Angela!
      That is wonderful to hear. Yes, solo travel helps with so many things, one of them being personal growth 🙂 I hope you get to do a lot of it. Safe travels! Alex

6. Tamera | Campfires & Coffee says

I’ve had some of my most interesting adventures traveling solo!

Hi Tamera!

I agree. I love traveling with a friend/friends, but there is something very enriching about solo travel. Thanks for stopping by! Alex

7. Fatima Torres says

I’ve always been fearful of traveling alone. After reading all the reasons to do it, I almost want to give it a try.

hi Fatima!
      Oh this is great to hear! Start slow and go someplace where you are comfortable. You have plenty of time to explore and get used to solo travel 🙂 Good luck to you and happy travels! Alex

8. Nicole says

Hi Alex,
    I agree with you that it increases your confidence. I had to travel alone for work and I was soooo nervous about flying alone, getting the rental car, driving far alone, etc. However, once I did it, I was so proud of myself for doing it. It definitely increased my confidence:)
    Great post!
    Thanks,
    Nicole

Hi Nicole!

Yes, solo travel is a wonderful way to increase confidence! It can be a bit intimidating and scary at first, but it’s a great way to learn a lot about yourself! Happy travels 🙂

9. Tricia Snow says

Your blog looks wonderful! Thank you!

1. Alex Booze says

Oh my gosh, thank you so much! I appreciate you stopping by 🙂 I will check out your blog as well!

10. Kez says

Solo is the only way to travel!

1. Alex Booze says

Solo travel is so enlightening! I hope you get to do a lot of it 🙂

11. Kim says

I love traveling solo! I feel like I meet so many new people and spend more time with them! Some of my best travel experiences have been solo 🙂

1. Alex Booze says

Hi Kim! I love solo travel too 🙂 Sometimes it’s nice to get away and venture into the unknown while only relying on yourself. Thank you for stopping by my page. I’ll be sure to check yours out too!

12. Lauren says

I don’t get the opportunity to travel solo anymore due to children but I used to love the peacefulness of going at my own speed and having no pressure to be busy all the time!

1. Alex Booze says

Yessss, going at your own pace and seeing the things you want is the best. Hopefully you can travel some with your family in the future 🙂

13. Diana Lesko says

Great post! I agree with all of the points you’ve made. Often, people ask me how come I’m so confident. And I just tell them that solo travel made me a super confident woman. 🙂

1. Alex Booze says

Solo travel absolutely makes you more confident! It helps you problem solve, talk to new people, and even trust strangers (and yourself)

14. Jordan says

I love this! I’m a major scaredy-cat and have yet to travel solo, but you make some great points! I will definitely be trying it someday 🙂

15. Wellness Travel Diaries says

I love traveling solo! I recently got married, so my partner and I have been traveling together, but every trip we always plan some time to have a solo day :). I always come away feeling just as you described, more confidence and I get to meet more solo travelers too.

16. Miranda says

I was terrified before my first solo trip but I ended up loving it and learning so much about myself! Freedom is huge and so glad you pointed that out

17. alisha dharsi says

Such good points! This is such a good article to help encourage people to take this fantastic journey!